Sunday, December 16, 2012

Nursery Decorating Project - Take One!

Alright, so a couple weekends ago, I was struck with a creative, DIY vibe and decided to try my hand at one of the many gorgeous nursery projects I'd seen on the web.  Lots of people have done some pretty impressive things with scrapbook baby so I decided to jump there.

Luckily, I had the foresight to purchase some craft supplies during the pre Black Friday sales at Joanns so I managed to pick up supplies for 3 paintings at half the cost of the original ONE painting I wanted to buy online.  I am pretty happy with the result.  The modge podge ended up discoloring the original canvas a bit, but I think I'll just repaint over that part and call it a day.

I received the best compliment I possibly could though with this project.  When Damien left in the morning to head to the range, I hadn't started the project at all.  By the time he got home, I had the finished project sitting on the dining room table.  Being him, his first thought was "what in the world did she order now?"  He did admit that he liked it, but it was just another decoration to add to the ledger.  Well, imagine how surprised he was when I told him that I had created that item he thought came from a store!  Talk about a weird, round about way to end up with a pretty nice compliment!

I drew inspiration from a few places, namely the Under the Sycamore blog - http://ashleyannphotography.com/blog/2010/01/13/diy-paper-bird-painting/
I still love her use of the white canvas with the birds, but I thought the white might end up too stark.  In any case, I'm happy with the finished project!

Here are my process pictures:



 Gathering supplies: 16x20 canvas, acrylic paints, a strong glue, brushes, Mod Podge, pencil, and plenty of scrapbook pages!



 Bird templates waiting to be traced onto the scrapbook paper.


Outlining the leaves and filling in the background  












 Background all filled in!















No comments:

Post a Comment